- 81% have Article 4 Directions covering one or more of their Conservation Areas
- Some of the remaining 19% of Authorities without Directions in place nevertheless have significant numbers of Conservation Areas
- The majority of Directions are in place to control permitted development rights to individual dwellings
- The majority of Authorities have applied the use of Directions selectively, although some 25% have introduced blanket Directions across the whole of the Conservation Area, irrespective of the type of property concerned
- None of the Authorities surveyed reported any claim for compensation against a refusal of permission.
see Article 4 Directions research report